Catechism Coordinator: Ted Nokonechny (firstname.lastname@example.org, 306-536-3363)
The finalized classes for the 2017-2018 year are as follows:
Level 2: Teacher Len Markewich
- Deklan (2)
- Katie (2)
Level 1/3: Teacher Karen Woitas
- Dylan (1)
- Riley (1)
- Alexis (3)
- Andrew (3)
Level 4/5: Teacher Tyler Woloshyn
- Teagan (4)
- Alexandra (5)
- John (5)
- Sophia (5)
Level 7: Teacher Ted Nokonechny
- Madeline (6)
- Alexxis (7)
- Matthew (7)
Children’s Choir Director: Angela Malowany
If you are interested in teaching or have children interested in attending the program, please contact the Catechism Coordinator.
Notice of Absence
If it is unavoidable for children to be absent during a Catechism class or needs to leave prior to 8:00 PM, please notify the Catechism Coordinator. Please try to do this by at least noon on the day of the Catechism class. Please keep in mind that the earlier you can notify, the better!
The reason we ask you to do this is because there have been times when the teacher prepares a lesson and then none or very few of the students show up. It would make a lot more sense for us to know this information ahead of time so that the teacher’s time is not wasted. If the coordinator does not receive notification of the absence, a follow up phone call will be made to check in with you.
We have a sign up sheet that will be made available throughout the year. We ask that you support our coordinator and teachers in making Catechism memorable for your child.
All children must have proper footwear (clean non-marking indoor use only footwear)for catechism classes. Children will not be allowed to play in the gym if their shoes are leaving black marks or dirt on the floor. Also, please double check with your child that he/she has all his/her belongings prior to leaving the church at the end of the evening.
Consent to Release Information Forms
Parents are invited to sign a “Consent to Release Information” form. This form needs to be signed in the presence of Parish staff in order to be valid. We are hoping to make our website more vibrant this year by posting pictures of our catechism activities on our website. This form is similar to the one that your child’s school asks you to sign at the start of the school year.
We hope you will be supportive of involving your children in leading the hymns on the first Sunday of most months (as indicated on the program calendar). In addition to great fun for the children, it is edifying for the founding members of St. Athanasius Church to see the younger generation taking on active and important roles in our church. Encouraging our young people to live out the Sacramental life that God calls each of us to as Catholics is essential to helping them build a strong foundation in Jesus.
Children of Mary – For girls only!
This program is offered to girls who would like to be more involved in the Divine Liturgy and would like to learn more about the important roles that females hold in our Christian history and in our Church today. We will have a few practice sessions after Divine Liturgy on Sundays in September / October. In addition, we plan to meet 3 times over the Catechism year on Monday nights to put our faith into action, to grow in virtue, learn together, and have fun. Any girls who were not installed as “Children of Mary” last year will be installed on the Sunday following the feast of the Mother of God’s Entrance into the Temple (***November 21***). If there is an interest to meet more often than the 3 Mondays, Angela would love to meet with the girls 1 or 2 Saturday afternoons a month.
Altar Server Training – For boys who have celebrated their 1st Solemn Communion
Fr. Basil will meet with the boys and their parents who are interested in serving at the Altar. This is an important ministry, so he plans to meet with them a few times to teach them more about the reasons behind the different processions, holding the candles, and participating in the Divine Liturgy. The boys who were not already commissioned last year will be commissioned as altar servers for St. Athanasius Parish following Divine Liturgy on Sunday, November xx. The boys will be required to be vested and ready at least 5 minutes prior to the start of the Divine Liturgy.
Regular participation in Catechism is so life giving! We plan to celebrate this participation. Keep posted for details!
Our 2016/2017 Catechism Calendar:
Depending on your calendar program, you may be able to use one of the following URLs to import / view the calendar:
Just a list of dates (subject to change):
- Monday, September 11 6:30pm Catechism Reqistration Night
- Monday, September 18 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 01
- Monday, September 25 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 02
- Sunday, October 1 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, October 2 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 03
- Monday, October 9 NO – Catechism
- Monday, October 16 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 04
- Monday, October 23 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 05
- Monday, October 30 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 06
- Sunday, November 5 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, November 6 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 07
- Monday, November 13 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 08
- Monday, November 20 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – concert prep 1
- Monday, November 27 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – concert prep 2
- Sunday, December 3 9:15am Childrens Choir / St. Nicholas Concert
- Monday, December 4 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 09
- Monday, December 11 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 10
- Monday, December 18 6:30pm NO — Catechism
- Monday, December 25 NO – Catechism
- Monday, January 1, 2018 NO – Catechism
- Monday, January 8, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 11
- Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, January 15, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 12
- Monday, January 22, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 13
- Monday, January 29, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 14
- Sunday, February 4, 2018 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, February 5, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 15
- Monday, February 12, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 16
- Monday, February 19, 2018 NO – Catechism
- Monday, February 26, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 17
- Sunday, March 4, 2018 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, March 5, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 18
- Monday, March 12, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 19
- Monday, March 19, 2018 6:30pm Catechism Lesson – 20
- Sunday, April 1, 2018 9:15am Childrens Choir
- Monday, April 16, 2018 6:00pm Catechism Windup – early start time